Research Manager, Lebanon
Job Title: Research Manager
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Special Requirements: Right to work in Lebanon
Department/Business Unit: BBC Media Action
Reports to: Head of Research, Lebanon
Contract duration: 24 months contract, subject to funding
Salary: Competitive salary (depending on qualification and experience)
Closing date: 20 November 2018
To apply send a covering letter of maximum 2 pages in English demonstrating how you meet the requirements of the post, along with your CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Research Manager”.
BBC Media Action is planning to implement an EU-funded project aiming to produce high quality, non-formal learning video content to build the resilience and develop the life skills of Syrian and Lebanese youth and children. Research will be a critical part of the project. Formative research, pilot testing and ongoing audience feedback is intrinsic to the project design and evaluation will assess the impact of the project against the project’s objectives. The main research activities will focus on primary research with key target audiences of Syrian children between 6 and 18 and their parents and caregivers – amongst children who are attending school and children who are not in formal education. The programme of research will take into account the complexities and ethical challenges of conducting research with vulnerable and traumatised groups, young children and their parents and carers through working in collaboration with key research experts/consultants where necessary in order to design appropriate research activities
You will work alongside the Head of Research, two research officers and various members of the wider project implementation team to manage the research for this project. You will be responsible for implementing the research on the ground and coordinating with the relevant partners to help deliver formative, monitoring and evaluation activities, with guidance and support from the Head of Research. The Research Manager will work collaboratively with London-based Research staff, research consultants and agencies and the project team to co-ordinate and implement a variety of qualitative and possibly quantitative research activities which will inform, guide and evaluate project activities through key audience and media insights. The Research Manager will need to have a strong background in overseeing and conducting research.
- Support the Head of Research to design and plan the research activities
- Work with the Project team to secure relationships with partners required to conduct research
- Coordinate and work with with the Project team to design, analyse and report research so it informs the project and feeds into the production of media content
- Work with the Head of Research in Lebanon to implement the research design across the project including directing local research staff in conducting primary research, commissioning agencies where relevant and working with research consultants and experts (such as those with experience of research with children, trauma and mental health) where necessary
- Lead the co-ordination and implementation of all aspects of research activities as required, including research administration/logistics and organisation of fieldwork
- Lead the recruitment, training, monitoring and control the quality of fieldwork/data collection by the Research Officers, research agencies and/or freelancers
- Manage and train the research officers to conduct research
- Work closely with research teams in Lebanon and London to collect and analyse data
- Ensure all research activities are conducted in accordance with BBC Media Action’s Assuring Integrity in Measurement (AIM) quality control and ethical standards
- Support the Head of Research, Lebanon to report key findings and strategic recommendations to the project and production team
- Travel throughout Lebanon and other areas in the region when necessary
- Abide by BBC Media Action’s safeguarding policy
- Abide by all BBC health and safety regulations
- Abide by all BBC Media Action financial reporting procedures
- Perform other duties as required in the establishment and management of the Project.
Required knowledge, skills and experience:
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Arabic.
- Completed university degree (with relevant degree in social science, humanities or development studies etc.)
- At least 5 years work experience in social/market/academic research
- Experience conducting research with Syrian refugees and diverse communities in Lebanon
- Experience implementing research with children
- Demonstrate strong research management experience (including supervising and quality assuring qualitative and quantitative research)
- Experience sharing research with stakeholders
Communication and management skills
- Ability to communicate research clearly to stakeholders to analyse and synthesise research together
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with partner organisations
- Ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues and work as a member of a team, demonstrating good interpersonal skills.
- Experience in managing a team and supervising the implementation of research activities of other researchers
- Experience in briefing, mentoring and training others to conduct research
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills to prioritise work meet deadlines and respond flexibly to rapidly changing priorities
- Good IT skills, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Understanding of, and sensitivity to the Syrian context and issues related to refugees including need for confidentiality
- Ability to operate effectively in a difficult environment
Desired knowledge, skills and experience:
- Experience in research in education
- Experience of research in media/social and behaviour change communication and working with media organisations in applying research findings to production of media outputs and broadcast strategy
- Analytical Thinking – Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks, for problem-solving and/or development.
- Decision Making – Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
- Imagination / Creative Thinking – Is able to transform creative ideas/impulses into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
- Planning and Organisation – Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account key relevant issues in order to implement research processes in line with organisational priorities and plans.
- Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, set backs or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Influencing and Persuading – Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Communication – The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Listening skills and impartiality – The ability to listen to others’ views and ideas without prejudging what the respondent/interlocutor has to say. The ability to listen to others views and accurately and precisely record their views. The ability to deploy observation and interpretation at the appropriate analytical contexts.
- Discipline and rigour – The ability to follow procedures, guidance, toolkits and research processes in a disciplined and rigorous fashion.