Finance and Administration Assistant, Tunisia
Reports to: Head of Administration and Finance, Tunisia & Algeria
Duration: until March 31 2016, with a possible extension
Application instructions: You should send your CV/resume and a covering letter in English which outlines your experience and suitability for the role (PDF or MS Word format) to: Tunisia@bbcmediaaction.org with the title of the position in the subject line.
Please do not send certificates or other attachments. Applicants without a covering letter will not be considered. Please only apply if you meet the basic criteria under the person specification. This is a local post applicable to people who have the legal right to live and work in Tunisia. 'National terms and conditions will apply'. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Application deadline: Thursday 8 December 2016.
Overall Purpose of the Job
Through a targeted training and development programme, BBC Media Action is working to support the development of the media sector in Tunisia. Its main project, Focus on Tunisians, aims at ensuring Tunisian National Television has greater capacity to play a role as public service broadcaster (PSB) in particular to produce news and factual programming outputs to a higher editorial standard which cater for the needs of a more diverse society (including those who are under-served/represented, such as youth, enabling them to better participate in the democratic transition). As Finance and Administrative Assistant, you will be contributing to ensuring that this project and other BBC Media Action activities in Tunis are implemented according to highest standards of financial management and administration in compliance with BBC and BBC Media Action values and regulations.
- Actively contribute to ensuring that BBC Media Action Tunis office is compliant with Tunisian law and regulations as well as BBC and BBC Media Action values, guidance and rules.
- Support the Head of Administration and Finance and Country Director in financial and administrative management as required.
- Contribute to the implementation and management of coherent budgets and administrative planning for strategies, projects and programmes of training and development as required, in line with regional and country strategies, with support from the London and in-Country project and finance teams.
- Contribute to the planning, coordination and logistics of BBC Media Action activities for current and future projects as well as other activities as required.
- Contribute to regular detailed maintenance of accounting books and expenditure record and planning documents.
- Upon request, contribute to monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting in accordance with internal deadlines and donor reporting deadlines and ad-hoc requirements.
- Operate cash flow of BBC Media Action office in Tunisia.
- Support Head of Finance and Administration in meeting annual audit, tax and social contribution requirements.
Systems and procedures:
- Comply with BBC financial policy as well as statutory financial requirements; adapt financial policy and procedures as necessary according to the country laws.
- Comply with BBC Media Action administrative and financial procedures as well as donor requirements and project delivery good practice.
- Comply with BBC Health and Safety guidance and make sure Business Continuity plans and Risk Assessments are updated according to deadlines and communicated to relevant managers, staff and consultants.
- Support Head of Finance and Administration in ensuring procurement processes are held according to BBC Media Action and donor procurement good practices guidelines.
- Day to day booking entries on accounting software (Dimension).
- Monthly Bank reconciliation and cash reconciliation.
- Preparing financial reports for management.
Human Resources Management:
- Support Head of Finance and Administration in maintaining up-to-date records of leave and extra days, support recruitment process and transparency in advertising and selection of candidates.
- Keep up-to-date records of staff details, leave/sickness/extra days, as well as equipment distribution.
- Prepare the monthly paystub.
Administration & logistics:
- Make all payments on time and develop good and professional relations with suppliers and service providers.
- Ensure all contracts, risk assessments, expenses reimbursement, travel, accommodation, venue bookings, and all other administration and logistics tasks are dealt with according to deadlines and activity plans and in the most efficient and professional manner.
- Maintain an up-to-date list of inventory of assets for office and production facilities and manage filing of all administrative documents.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience you will be required to use
- Required minimum one year experience in finance, accounting and administration, preferably in non-profit organisation.
- Required proven experience in managing budgets and multiple administrative and finance tasks in international environment.
- Required experience in using accounting software, booking entries and manipulating reports.
- Ability to work on own initiative to organise time effectively within a range of often conflicting deadlines. Capacity to juggle competing priorities and a busy programme of work while working to an agreed strategy.
- Effectiveness and flexibility to work in a team
- Able to deliver in a variety of environments.
- The ability to forge strong working relations quickly and gain the trust of colleagues, trainers, trainees and partners in the region.
- Excellent IT skills. Competent to advanced level in Microsoft Excel and word.
- Knowledge of, ability to interpret, and willingness to contribute to the ongoing development of BBC Media Action’s strategy for Tunisia and the wider region.
- Experience of supporting staff from different backgrounds both on site and remotely.
- Required fluent Arabic and French, and ability to communicate and report effectively in English.
- Readiness to work long hours, on weekends or on public holidays when reasonably required.
- Strategic Thinking – Can identify a vision along with the plans which need to be implemented to meet the end goal. Evaluates situations, decisions, issues, etc. in the short, medium and longer term.
- Analytical Thinking – Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts and explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships and construct frameworks for problem solving and/or development.
- Decision Making – Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
- Imagination/Creative Thinking – Is able to transform creative ideas/impulses into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
- Planning and Organisation – Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, set-backs or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Communication – The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Managing relationships – Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.