Words in the News
Episode 150408 / 08 Apr 2015
Looking good in the picture…
This museum in the Philippines encourages visitors to become part of the exhibits.
The artwork is designed so that, when photographed from a specific angle, optical illusions are created.
The museum is the brainchild of a group of Korean artists and features over 100 3D paintings.
items shown in a museum or art gallery
a piece of art e.g. painting, sculpture
Use one of the words or phrases below to complete each of these sentences from news reports. Note that you may have to change the form of a word to complete the sentence correctly.
encourages / exhibits / artwork / optical illusions / brainchild
1. The mobile app, which is the __________ of two US university students, lets users communicate by sending each other photos that automatically delete after a few seconds.
2. __________ on show at the gallery include the first transatlantic cable which connected Europe and North America, the broadcast equipment behind the BBC's first radio programme in 1922, and Sir Tim Berners-Lee's NeXT computer, which hosted the first website.
3. __________ valued at more than £20,000 was stolen in a raid at a gallery.
4. "Keeping healthy by not smoking, maintaining a healthy body weight and being active can all lower the risk of cancer, and the more people can help and __________ each other, the better."
5. Residents in a Russian city have witnessed an __________ in the dawn sky, which created a triple sunrise.
1. The mobile app, which is the brainchild of two US university students, lets users communicate by sending each other photos that automatically delete after a few seconds.
2. Exhibits on show at the gallery include the first transatlantic cable which connected Europe and North America, the broadcast equipment behind the BBC's first radio programme in 1922, and Sir Tim Berners-Lee's NeXT computer, which hosted the first website.
3. Artwork valued at more than £20,000 was stolen in a raid at a gallery.
4. "Keeping healthy by not smoking, maintaining a healthy body weight and being active can all lower the risk of cancer, and the more people can help and encourage each other, the better."
5. Residents in a Russian city have witnessed an optical illusion in the dawn sky, which created a triple sunrise.
Latest Words in the News
Episode 150909 / 09 Sep 2015
Queen Elizabeth II has broken the record. She's now been on the throne longer than any other British monarch
Episode 150902 / 02 Sep 2015
One of the world's biggest festivals hits the streets of London
Episode 150826 / 26 Aug 2015
The art of recycling. Find out how plastic bags are being turned into pictures
Episode 150819 / 19 Aug 2015
New cafe in Tokyo offers customers the opportunity to hold a snake. Watch the video
Episode 150812 / 12 Aug 2015
Reducing plastic rubbish on Britain's beaches. Clean-up group gets busy in Cornwall
Episode 150805 / 05 Aug 2015
Pets take to the waves at a Californian event. Watch the video and learn new words
Episode 150729 / 29 Jul 2015
Could your garden be a source of green energy? Scientists use electricity from plants
Episode 150722 / 22 Jul 2015
Do you want to be in the movies? Thousands queue in London for the chance to be in a new JK Rowling film
Episode 150715 / 15 Jul 2015
Would you use a phone made out of grass? Take a look at some 'green' technology
Episode 150708 / 08 Jul 2015
What's causing a stink in Asia? Could it be the 'king of fruits'?!
Episode 150701 / 01 Jul 2015
Is being tall a good thing? Scientists study how giraffes move
Episode 150624 / 24 Jun 2015
Ivory objects destroyed in New York to curb trade behind killing of elephants
Episode 150617 / 17 Jun 2015
Nepalese government wants to bring back tourists after earthquake destruction
Episode 150610 / 10 Jun 2015
Can't afford an original painting by Picasso? Visit the place where cheap copies are made
Episode 150603 / 03 Jun 2015
Padlocks lovers attach to Parisian bridge became a nuisance, say the authorities
Episode 150527 / 26 May 2015
The skyscraper replacing the World Trade Center opens its top floor to the public
Episode 150520 / 20 May 2015
Pakistani teen campaigns to end practice of offering girls for marriage to resolve local disputes
Episode 150513 / 13 May 2015
About 11,000 athletes endure mud and water to try to win the race
Episode 150506 / 06 May 2015
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's daughter is called Charlotte Elizabeth Diana
Episode 150429 / 29 Apr 2015
Conservationists want to bring the lynx back to the British countryside, but farmers are worried
Episode 150422 / 22 Apr 2015
Customs officials in Thailand capture four tonnes of smuggled ivory from the Democratic Republic of Congo
Episode 150415 / 15 Apr 2015
A castle in Poland has been transformed into a College of Wizardry to welcome Harry Potter fans
Episode 150408 / 08 Apr 2015
A museum in the Philippines wants visitors to be part of the picture
Episode 150401 / 01 Apr 2015
UK cook uses 100kg of chocolate to create two-metre-tall egg
Episode 150325 / 25 Mar 2015
People come together in Northern Ireland around a burning symbol of the future
Episode 150318 / 18 Mar 2015
Children who can't see get more active by playing with light and sound
Episode 150311 / 11 Mar 2015
Afghanistan's first female taxi driver
Episode 150304 / 04 Mar 2015
The sea is powerful. But how can it be used to create electricity? Find out about a plan to build the world's first lagoon power plant
Episode 150225 / 25 Feb 2015
A new type of onion has been developed that tastes good and won't make you cry
Episode 150218 / 18 Feb 2015
Some 500 tonnes of fruit are used in this Italian festival
Episode 150211 / 11 Feb 2015
Food literally flies to the table in restaurants in Singapore
Episode 150204 / 04 Feb 2015
New technology means we can now read texts written in Roman times
Episode 150128 / 28 Jan 2015
Teachers in Pakistan carry guns to protect school children after Taliban attack
Episode 150121 / 21 Jan 2015
The gap between rich and poor is growing wider, says Oxfam
Episode 150114 / 14 Jan 2015
Snow hits Saudi desert regions for the third year running
Episode 150107 / 07 Jan 2015
Zookeepers count more than 750 species in London
Episode 141231 / 31 Dec 2014
Trees left after Christmas are used to prevent floods in the UK
Episode 141224 / 24 Dec 2014
Why did Santa climb down a building 100 metres tall?
Episode 141217 / 17 Dec 2014
Maasai Olympics encourages young to show skills on sports rather than by killing lions
Episode 141210 / 10 Dec 2014
A new project brings road signs and house numbers to Cotonou in Benin
Episode 141203 / 03 Dec 2014
A tunnel is to be built near the ancient monument of Stonehenge. Watch the video and learn new words
Episode 141126 / 26 Nov 2014
Residents of the north-east United States fear floods as temperatures rise. Watch the video and learn new words
Episode 141119 / 19 Nov 2014
A British man drives his girlfriend's car round an ex-Grand Prix circuit. Watch the video and learn new words
Episode 141112 / 12 Nov 2014
Two adventurers cross Zimbabwe's Victoria Falls on a high wire. Watch the video and learn new words
Episode 141105 / 05 Nov 2014
Hundreds of puppets bring colour to the streets of Bangkok. Watch the video and learn some new words
Episode 141029 / 29 Oct 2014
British academies train people in urban running. Watch the video and learn some new words
Episode 141022 / 22 Oct 2014
Men and women take part in a colourful event in London. Watch the video and learn some new words
Episode 141015 / 15 Oct 2014
Couples should support each other. But, does that mean you need to carry your wife?
Episode 141008 / 08 Oct 2014
The world's biggest guitar is on show in the US. Watch the video and learn new words
Episode 141001 / 01 Oct 2014
Will changes in cigarette packets make people smoke less? Watch the video and learn new words
Episode 140924 / 24 Sep 2014
Visit the bank which operates inside Peru's biggest prison. Watch the video and learn new words