Unit 4: 5 ways to use 'would'
Pronunciation : sound like a native English speaker
Select a unit
- 1 Go beyond intermediate with our new video course
- 2 Reported speech in 90 seconds!
- 3 If or whether?
- 4 5 ways to use 'would'
- 5 Let and allow
- 6 Passive voice
- 7 Unless
- 8 Mixed conditionals
- 9 The zero article - in 90 seconds
- 10 The indefinite article - in 90 seconds
- 11 The. That's right - the! Learn all about it in 90 seconds
- 12 The continuous passive
- 13 Future perfect
- 14 Need + verb-ing
- 15 Have something done
- 16 Wish
- 17 Word stress
- 18 Different ways of saying 'if'
- 19 Passive reporting structures
- 20 The subjunctive
- 21 When and if
- 22 Inversion
- 23 Phrasal verbs
- 24 The future
- 25 Modals in the past
- 26 Narrative tenses
- 27 Phrasal verb myths
- 28 Conditionals review
- 29 Used to - review
- 30 Linking words of contrast
BBC English Class
Five ways to use would
I would memorise these sentences if I were you!
2) Future in past
When you started learning English you knew you would be fluent one day.
3) Reported speech
Finn said he would teach us how to use would.
4) Repetition in the past
I would always make mistakes until I learned these examples.
5) Polite requests
Would you try a little harder please?
1) Direct: Where is the cafe?
Indirect: Do you know where the cafe is?
2) Direct: When will you finish the report?
Indirect: Could you tell me when you'll finish the report?
3) Direct: Where is the toilet?
Indirect: Would you mind telling me where the toilets are?
4) Direct: Can you help me?
Indirect: Is there any chance you could help me with this?
We can also use if and whether, like this:
I wonder if you can help me?
Do you know if there's a bank near here?
Could you tell me whether Mark prefers fish or chicken curry?