Towards Advanced Grammar Reference
Check and improve your grammar with our advanced grammar reference guide. On this page you'll find links to our advanced grammar summary pages. Each advanced grammar reference page covers a key grammar point with all the explanations and examples you need to become an advanced grammar champion.
In addition to these 30 grammar reference guides, you can also try our audio grammar series, 6 Minute Grammar (Basic) or 6 Minute Grammar (Intermediate) and you can check your grammar knowledge with our complete basic grammar reference guide, intermediate grammar reference guide and upper-intermediate grammar reference guide.
- Relative clauses
- Future forms
- Uses of the present
- Linking words of contrast
- Stative verbs in the continuous form
- Infinitives of purpose
- Conditionals review
- Using the past to talk about the present or future
- Verb patterns – gerunds or infinitives
- Future continuous
- Native speaker 'mistakes' – past participles, 'me', splitting infinitives
- Adding emphasis – 'it' cleft sentences
- More native speaker 'mistakes' – 'innit', 'there'/'their'/'they're', 'what' as a relative pronoun
- Adding emphasis – 'what' cleft sentences
- Future in the past
- Discourse markers
- Advanced learner mistakes – word order in wh- clauses
- More advanced learner mistakes – come, bring, go, take
- Formal and informal English
- Subject-verb agreement 1 – singular and plurals, no plural, no singular
- Subject-verb agreement 2 – collective nouns, quantities, amounts, indefinite nouns
- Subject-verb agreement 3 – 'and', 'or', 'neither', 'nor', separated subjects and verbs, singular or plural verb with a cleft sentence
- 5 uses of 'wish'
- Being polite: how to soften your English
- Inversion 1 – negative and limiting adverbs
- Inversion 2 – reduced conditionals, adverbs of place or movement, consequences of an adjective
- Discourse markers 2 – 'to tell you the truth', 'I mean', 'you see', 'in other words', 'at the end of the day', 'I know', 'so to speak'
- Question tags
- Participle clauses
- Aspect – simple, continuous, perfect
Completed our advanced grammar reference guide?
Why not check out one of our 6 Minute series?
- 6 Minute Grammar (basic)
- 6 Minute Grammar (intermediate)
- 6 Minute Vocabulary (basic)
- 6 Minute Vocabulary (intermediate)
- 6 Minute English (intermediate)
Try our grammar reference guides at other levels:
- Basic grammar reference guide
- Intermediate grammar reference guide
- Upper-intermediate grammar reference guide
Subscribe to our podcasts: