Before you start...
Make sure you've got:
- A BBC account. You can use your existing one. If you don’t already have one you can register by going to account.bbc.com/account/tv.
- A second device such as a mobile, tablet or computer. This is where you'll enter the code shown on your TV.
Ready? Here's what you need to do.
- Open the BBC iPlayer application on your TV and select Sign In. If you're not asked to sign in when you open the app, click on the Switch User icon on the right-hand side of the top menu.
- On your mobile/tablet/computer, open your internet browser and go to www.bbc.com/account/tv. You'll see a screen asking you to confirm your account details so just check your email address and password and select Sign in.
- You'll now see a screen on your mobile/tablet/computer saying "Enter the code shown on your TV". Enter the activation code that appears on your TV screen, then select Sign in on your TV.
- Wait a few seconds for your TV to catch up, and then you're done! You're now signed in on your TV.
Here are some things to be aware of:
- If you don’t use the activation code, it will expire after 60 minutes so you'll need to start again.
- Only one person can use the activation code. If two or more people try to use the same code, it won’t work.
- If you see a message saying "Sorry, something isn't working right now. Please try again later," that means we’re having technical issues. Please do try again later.
- If your computer/phone/tablet advises that you're signed in, but your TV doesn't change, or it asks you to sign in again, please run through our TV troubleshooting steps as these may help.
- Sign-in isn't available on all TVs. That's because of variations in software and technology. We've got more information about this in the Why isn't sign-in available on my TV? page.
- If you want to sign in on more than one TV, follow the same procedure with those devices. You'll be given a code linked to that particular device. You can sign in to as many TV devices as you need.
What if I don't have a mobile, tablet or computer?
If you are required to sign in to BBC iPlayer on your TV and you don't have a second device, it is still possible to use BBC iPlayer on your TV. You'll need to have access to a telephone (this doesn't need to be a smartphone - a regular telephone will do). Minicom facilities are also available if you have a speech or hearing impairment.
Follow these steps:
- Open the BBC iPlayer application on your TV.
- Press the Sign In button.
- You should see a screen asking you to use a second device to sign in. At the bottom of the screen it should say, "Don't have a mobile, tablet or computer? Press down." Press down on your remote control.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to get access to BBC iPlayer.
Please note this option is only available for connected TV devices.