Setting up a parental guidance lock is the best way to control what your children have access to on BBC iPlayer. Click on the relevant question to find the answer you're looking for:
- How do I set up the lock?
- How do I turn off the lock?
- What if I forget my password (or don't remember setting up a lock)?
- How do I change the lock's password or PIN?
- Can I use the lock in BBC iPlayer Downloads?
- What are the terms and conditions for using the lock?
How do I set up the lock?
If a programme has been flagged with parental guidance, it will feature a clear label and a G symbol. Look out for a red G towards the bottom left.
- Hit the Play button and, when prompted, click Turn On PG Lock.
- Choose and enter a four digit PIN and press Play.
Your PIN is now set. Next time you try to watch something that we've suggested isn't suitable for kids, you'll see a message explaining why, and you'll have to enter your PIN before you watch.
You can also set the parental guidance lock via the Parental Controls page.
How do I turn off the lock?
- Click play on any programme with a guidance label, then select the Manage your lock option.
- You'll be brought to the Parental Controls page where you can select Turn off PG Lock.
- Enter your PIN and select Unlock. All programmes will now be unlocked.
When you want to switch the parental lock back on again, head to the Parental Controls page to manage your lock.
What if I forget my password (or don't remember setting up a lock)?
If you forget your password or PIN or you believe you never set up a parental guidance lock to begin with, you will need to clear your browser history. If you're not sure how to do this, read the How do I clear the cache? page which explains how to clear your browser history.
How do I change the lock's password or PIN?
To change your lock's details, you will need to delete the cookies from your browser (check the How do I clear the cache? page if you're not sure how to do this), then set up a new parental guidance lock from the Parental Controls page.
Can I use the lock in BBC iPlayer Downloads?
If you have the parental guidance lock turned on, you’ll need to enter your PIN to download any programme with a guidance label, like you would for playing programmes directly on the website.
Once you’ve downloaded a programme with a guidance label, a guidance reminder will appear when you play it.
What are the terms and conditions for using the parental guidance lock?
If you permit a child to use your device, you are solely responsible for determining whether the BBC content is appropriate for that child to view. The BBC parental guidance lock provides a way to help you control how guidance-labelled BBC content may be played on your device. If you turn on the parental guidance lock, your browser will not be able to access guidance-labelled content unless you type in your password or PIN.