BBC HomeExplore the BBC
This page has been archived and is no longer updated. Find out more about page archiving.

15 October 2014
WW2 - People's War

BBC Homepage
BBC History
WW2 People's War Homepage Archive List Timeline About This Site

Contact Us

Surrender of the German Army to Field Marshall Montgomeryicon for Recommended story

by peter_ricketts

Contributed by 
People in story: 
Flt Lt Albert Ricketts AFC, AE
Location of story: 
Lunerberg Heath, Germany
Background to story: 
Royal Air Force
Article ID: 
Contributed on: 
16 January 2005

The following describes the surrender of the German Army initially to Field Marshall Montgomery and later to General Eisenhower. This is an account by Fl. Lt Albert Ricketts and is an extract from his WW11 Memoirs. The passage describes the transfer of the German Surrender Team from Montgomery’s HQ at Lunerberg Heath, Germany to Eisenhower’s HQ at Rheims, France. Fl. Lt Albert Ricketts was attached to Montgomery’s HQ and flew high-ranking RAF and Army staff as directed.

The war had reached the point where the Germans could not hold out much longer and it came as no surprise when we learned that they had surrendered to Gen. Montgomery on the 4th May. It transpired that one of our aircraft was detailed to fly into the un-occupied part of Germany with the instruction that if they were shot at they were to ‘ get the hell out of it ‘.

Obviously they succeeded because after they had surrendered to Monty, I was instructed to fly the Surrender Team of General Admiral Von Freideberg and Colonel Pollack to make the total surrender to General Eisenhower at Rheims which was his H.Q.

On the 5th May I took off with the Germans on board together with 2 British officers Lt / Col James and Major Lawrence to fly to Rheims airfield. Unfortunately, as we got closer to Rheims the cloud base became lower and lower until eventually I was forced to fly above the cloud. As my radio was not performing I had no alternative but to return to our main base at Brussels. This meant that the German party together with their British escorts had to complete the journey by road. Whilst arrangements were being made to obtain a vehicle, it was deemed as not sensible to take the Germans into the Main Buildings.

We therefore, whilst waiting, resorted to walking with them up and down the tarmac outside. It was left to me to walk with the Admiral and he asked in broken English if the clouds were ‘ too deep ‘. With the weather as it was and the inability to mend the radio we were even prevented from following the party to Rheims and flying them back to their base. We were therefore denied seeing the euphoria of handing the Germans over to the Supreme Commander. Knowing how the Americans would have and indeed treated such an occasion It was not inconceivable that I would have featured in the cinema news of the day.

I flew back to my own base the following day. On the 7th May news came through that the final surrender had taken place. It was decided that the following day (8th ) would be celebrated as V. E. Day and that everyone would stand down. That is everybody except me who was detailed to fly to Canadian Army H.Q. to pick up Major General Templar who greeted me with the words ‘ we must be the only silly b………..s working today ‘. I found myself warming to a person with his understanding. On the evening we decided to have our own fireworks but the only thing we had was a Vary Pistol and some Vary cartridges. The cartridges were fired away from the back of the building which was in the opposite direction to the aircraft. Unfortunately the person using the pistol fired one cartridge straight up into the air and the wind carried the burning cartridge over onto one of our Auster Aircraft setting it on fire so that it ended up completely wrecked. Somehow or other we managed to cover up this unfortunate accident.

© Copyright of content contributed to this Archive rests with the author. Find out how you can use this.

Forum Archive

This forum is now closed

These messages were added to this story by site members between June 2003 and January 2006. It is no longer possible to leave messages here. Find out more about the site contributors.

Message 1 - German surrender

Posted on: 02 November 2005 by Trooper_KB

My Recce troop of 1st RTR comprising Desert Rats and new intakes,fought our way from the beach at Arromanches to the outskirts of Hamburg.It was there on the Quickborn Road,just up from the village of Meilsen that we detained the advance German surrender party of a High ranking officer and Major Freidl, a staff officer and the soldier who was driving their small Mecedes saloon with a white sheet draped over the bonnet.We handed them over to the 11th Hussars who had been sent up from Luneberg Heath to bring them to Monty's HQ.I have a photo taken at the handover.

Archive List

This story has been placed in the following categories.

Royal Air Force Category
Axis Forces Category
End of War 1945 Category
Belgium Category
Germany Category
icon for Story with photoStory with photo

Most of the content on this site is created by our users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of any external sites referenced. In the event that you consider anything on this page to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please click here. For any other comments, please Contact Us.

About the BBC | Help | Terms of Use | Privacy & Cookies Policy