- 50g/2oz unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 175g/6oz Arborio rice, or similar risotto rice
- 750ml/1¼pint hot vegetable stock
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 free-range eggs, hard boiled, chopped
- 150g/5oz vegetarian black pudding, sliced into rounds and fried until crisp (available online)
- 175g/6oz Puy lentils, washed, cooked according to packet instructions
- 1 handful fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- pinch freshly ground nutmeg
Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and fry until soft.
Add the rice and stir until the rice becomes translucent.
Add a large ladleful of stock and stir well. When the stock has absorbed, add another ladleful of stock. Repeat until the stock is all absorbed and the rice is just cooked through.
Add the curry powder and stir well.
Add the hard boiled eggs, fried black pudding, cooked lentils, coriander and coconut and gently stir until combined and warmed through.
To serve, spoon equal portions of the kedgeree into bowls and top with a little freshly grated nutmeg.