Don't think you can make mouthwatering gravy without meat juices? This veggie gravy recipe will prove you wrong!
- 1 small onion
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil or a good knob of butter
- 2 tsp of chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley, sage, thyme, rosemary, or a combination of them all) or 1 tsp mixed dry herbs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml/18fl oz vegetable stock, homemade or made from 1 stock cube
- 50ml/2fl oz sweet sherry, brandy or wine of choice
- 1 tsp yeast extract or 1 tbsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper
Finely chop the vegetables and fry in the oil over a medium heat along with the herbs for about 10 minutes or until they start to brown.
Add the tomato purée and fry for 30 seconds.
Stir in the flour, frying for 1 min, then pour in the stock. Add the alcohol, mixing well to dissolve the flour and avoid lumps.
Simmer for 5 minutes until you have a thickened sauce. Then add the yeast extract or soy sauce.
Pour through a sieve into a clean pan. Season with salt and pepper before serving.
To thicken your gravy further, at the end stir in mashed boiled potato (or leftover mash).