Hidden veg tomato sauce
This hidden veg tomato sauce is an easy way to add more vegetables into your pasta or pizza. Make a batch at the weekend and turn it into multiple meals.
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 courgettes, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 red peppers, seeds removed, roughly chopped
- 320g/11½oz butternut squash, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp onion granules
- 4 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 325g/11½oz passata
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat a large casserole dish over a medium heat. Add the oil and onion and fry for 2–3 minutes, until just softened.
Add the remaining ingredients, stir well and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer gently for 1 hour, until the vegetables are cooked.
Pour into a blender and blitz until smooth, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Leave to cool then separate into portions to freeze and use at a later date. See the tips section for ideas.
Serve with pasta; stir through cooked rice; spread over naan bread or flatbread for a quick pizza; mix with a little hot stock for a quick vegetable soup.