Thai beef and mixed pepper stir-fry
This speedy beef stir-fry is the perfect supper for a busy evening. Sliced peppers add crunch to the dish.
With a GI of 48 this meal is high protein, low GI and provides 503 kcal per portion.
- 300g/10½oz basmati rice
- 500g/1lb 2oz lean beef fillet
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 lemongrass stalk, finely shredded
- 2.5cm/1in piece of fresh root ginger, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, cored, deseeded and thickly sliced
- 1 green pepper, cored, deseeded and thickly sliced
- 1 onion, thickly sliced
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- freshly ground black pepper
- coriander leaves, to garnish
Place the rice in a lidded pot, cover with water and bring to the boil. Place the lid on the pot and reduce the heat. Simmer for around 10 minutes, or until the rice is soft.
Cut the beef across the grain into long, thin strips.
Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan over a high heat. Add the garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the beef and stir-fry for a further 2-3 minutes, or until lightly coloured. Stir in the lemongrass and ginger and remove the pan from the heat. Remove the beef from the pan and set aside.
Return the pan to the heat. Add the peppers and onion to the pan and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, or until the onions begin to brown and soften.
Return the beef to the pan, stir in the lime juice and season to taste with black pepper. Garnish with the coriander and serve.