Sweet and spicy chicken wings
- 1kg/2lb 3¼oz chicken wings, cut in half through the joint and tips discarded
For the marinade
- 1 tbsp Sichuan pepper corns, toasted and ground
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 3 tbsp finely grated orange zest
- 4 spring onions cut into 2.5cm/1in pieces
- 1 fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp liquid honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 450ml/16¼fl oz corn oil
- 125ml/4½fl oz sesame oil
- freshly ground black pepper
For the garnish
In a pestle and mortar blend together the peppercorns, garlic, ginger, orange zest, spring onions and chilli until you have a paste.
In a large bowl combine the honey, soy sauce and oils with the paste. Season to taste. Add the chicken wings, turn to coat, then allow to marinate for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.
Cook the chicken wings in a hot griddle pan or on a hot barbecue for 7-8 minutes each side or until thoroughly cooked and golden brown.
Garnish the chicken with a mixture of orange zest, chopped parsley and chives.