Veggie bean stew
A simple stew that tastes delicious. Perfect for rainy days when you don't want to go shopping!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small sweet potato, cut into 1cm/½in dice
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- 200ml/7fl oz vegetable stock (made from ½ stock cube or ½ tsp bouillon powder)
- 400g tin butterbeans, drained and rinsed
- handful kale, spinach or other leafy green vegetable
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a lidded saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and celery and sweat for 5 minutes with the lid on.
Add the garlic and sweet potato and cook for a further 5 minutes, until beginning to soften.
Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, oregano, paprika, chilli flakes and stock. Stir well and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer with the lid on for 10 minutes.
Add the butterbeans and simmer without the lid on for 10–15 minutes, or until the sweet potato is soft.
Add the kale and allow to wilt for 2 minutes. Stir well, check the seasoning and serve.
Use any beans or leftover veg you have for this recipe.