Christmas red cabbage
- 1 tbsp walnut oil
- 15g/½oz butter
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 1 red cabbage, cored and shredded
- 50g/1¾oz dried sour cherries, halved if large
- 3cm/1¼in piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp cloves
- 50g/1¾oz light soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 150ml/5fl oz port
- 150ml/5fl oz chicken stock or water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil and butter in a large heavy-based casserole. Add the onions and fry for several minutes on a medium heat until starting to caramelise. Add all the remaining ingredients, then season with salt and pepper.
Bring to the boil, then turn down and cover. Leave to simmer for around 30 minutes, stirring fairly regularly, then remove the lid and turn up the heat slightly.
Continue to cook until the liquid has reduced and is starting to become syrupy. Check the seasoning and serve.
Dried sour cherries make a lovely change from the usual apple in this recipe. If none are available, you could use a couple of finely chopped eating apples instead.