Spiced fried okra
Anjum Anand uses the spice mix chaat masala to make the perfect drinks party snack recipe.
- 60g/2oz gram flour (chickpea flour)
- 400g/14oz okra, wiped clean with damp kitchen roll, topped and tailed
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 tsp chaat masala ('snack spice' - a spice mixture available readymade from Asian grocers)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp dried mango powder (also sold as amchoor, available from Asian grocers)
Place the gram flour in a shallow bowl. Slice the okra pieces lengthwise into quarters and toss them in the gram flour.
Pour the oil into a large saucepan to a depth of approximately 2.5cm/1in and heat until a breadcrumb will sizzle gently when placed into the oil. Add the okra to the pan and fry until the okra is crisp and golden-brown, stirring occasionally.
Remove the okra with a slotted spoon and place it into a large bowl lined with kitchen roll. Sprinkle over the chaat masala, salt, chilli and dried mango powder and toss well. Serve hot.
These need to be cooked at the last minute because they do not reheat well.