Spiced lamb breast with winter salad
This slow-cooked lamb recipe is given a real depth of flavour by being marinated overnight in a spicy rub.
For the spiced lamb
For the winter salad
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 red chicory, thinly sliced
- 2 calcot onions or large spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 castelfranco lettuce or radicchio, thinly sliced
- 1 punterella or white chicory, thinly sliced
- 1 handful kale, cored removed and chopped
- 1 Braeburn apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 small shallots, roasted and chopped
- 1 thick slice day-old sourdough bread, cut into cubes and deep-fried
For the anchovy dressing
To make the spiced lamb, put the spice rub ingredients in a pestle and mortar and grind everything together. Rub the mix all over the lamb, cover and leave to marinate overnight in the fridge.
Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Place the lamb in a roasting tin, add 200ml/7fl oz water to the roasting tin, cover with foil and cook for 2–3 hours, basting occasionally. Remove from the oven and baste again.
Heat a griddle pan over a medium heat and grill the lamb for 1-2 minutes on each side.
To make the winter salad, place all the ingredients in a salad bowl and toss to mix together.
To make the anchovy dressing, heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the anchovies and garlic. Pour in the double cream and bring to the boil. Whisk in the butter and remove from the heat.
Serve the lamb with the winter salad and anchovy dressing.