Smoked haddock and cauliflower gratin
- butter, for greasing
- 350g/12oz potatoes, chopped into 2cm/¾in cubes
- 1 medium cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 1 heaped tbsp cornflour
- 300ml/10fl oz pouring double cream
- 100g/3½oz gruyère cheese, coarsely grated
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp snipped chives
- 500g/1lb 2oz smoked haddock, skinned and cut into very large pieces
- large pinch paprika, or to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. Butter a wide 3-litre/5¼-pint ovenproof dish.
Put the potatoes into a large saucepan, cover with water. Add salt and bring to the boil. Boil for 4 minutes, add the cauliflower and boil for another 4 minutes. Drain well and tip into the prepared dish. Season with pepper.
Put the cornflour into a bowl, pour in the cream and whisk to combine. Season with pepper.
Scatter half the cheese over the potato and cauliflower. Scatter over the herbs and top with the haddock. Pour the cream mixture in between the cracks and over the top. Scatter over the remaining cheese and the paprika.
Bake for 20–25 minutes, until golden-brown and bubbling.
This dish can be assemble up to 6 hours ahead and kept in the fridge.