Smoked aubergines with garlic (mirza ghasemi)
A great Persian dish of soft roasted aubergine in tomato and garlic sauce, with eggs cooked into it at the last minute. Ideal for making as part of a mezze meal.
Each serving provides 241kcal, 9g protein, 10g carbohydrate (of which 8g sugars), 17g fat (of which 2g saturates), 7g fibre and 1.6g salt.
- 3 large aubergines
- vegetable or olive oil, for frying
- 1 bulb garlic, cloves peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- 1½ tsp crushed sea salt
- 2 large free-range eggs, beaten
- small handful of broken walnut pieces, to garnish
- Persian flatbread, to serve