Slow cooker dal
Tasty and filling, dal makes a cheap, healthy and satisfying meal.
Try freezing it in portion-sized containers - it will keep for up to 2 months. Each serving provides 356kcal, 19g protein, 46g carbohydrate (of which 6g sugars), 9g fat (of which 1g saturates), 8g fibre and 1g salt.
- 300g/10½oz yellow split peas
- 1 onion, chopped
- 200g/7oz chopped tomatoes (from a tin or fresh)
- thumb of fresh root ginger, finely grated
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp crushed finely in a mortar
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves, one crushed, one thinly sliced
- 10 freeze-dried curry leaves
- 700ml/1¼ pts hot vegetable stock
- 1 hot green finger chilli, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- lemon wedges, to serve