Slow cooker vegan bean chilli
Get this vegan chilli going in the slow cooker and you’ll come back to a comforting dish to enjoy with rice, avocado, dairy-free yoghurt, coriander and lime wedges. A cheap, comforting dinner.
Each serving provides 332 kcal, 12.5g protein, 57g carbohydrate (of which 21g sugars), 1g fat (of which 0.5g saturates), 15g fibre and 0.7g salt.
- 8 spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 450g/1lb sweet potato, peeled and cut into roughly 2cm/¾in chunks
- 1 yellow pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ¼–½ tsp dried chilli flakes, depending on taste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ cinnamon stick or ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 150ml/5fl oz hot vegetable stock (made with 1 vegan vegetable stock cube)
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 395g tin red kidney beans in chilli sauce
- 400g tin mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
- salt and ground black pepper
Put all the ingredients into a slow cooker. Stir well then cover with the lid and cook on HIGH for 3–4 hours or LOW for 8–10 hours, or until the sauce is thick, the sweet potato is tender and the spices have mellowed.
If you get a chance, stir the chilli halfway through the cooking time, quickly replacing the lid.
Serve with freshly cooked rice, sliced avocado, dairy-free yoghurt, fresh coriander and lime wedges for squeezing.