Scallops with pickled shallots and oyster dressing
For the pickled shallots
- 20g/¾oz cooked beetroot
- 50ml/2fl oz white wine vinegar
- 25g/1oz sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 banana shallot, thinly sliced
For the oyster dressing
For the salad
- 1 cucumber, peeled into long ribbons
- 1 Granny Smith apple, grated
- 1 fennel, thinly sliced with a mandolin
- 30g/1oz fresh dill, finely chopped
- 6 round radishes, sliced into discs
- 16 wild garlic flowers (optional)
For the scallops
For the pickled shallots, bring 50ml/2fl oz water and all of the ingredients, except the shallots, to the boil. Put the shallots into a bowl and pour the pickling liquor over. Leave for at least 1 hour.
For the dressing, put all the ingredients and 50—100ml/2—3½fl oz water into a blender and blend until smooth.
For the salad, put the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
For the scallops, place a frying pan over a high heat and add the oil. Season the scallops with salt and put in the pan. Cook without moving the scallops for 40-60 seconds. Turn over and add the lemon juice.
To serve, put the salad and shallots around the centre of a plate. Top with the scallops and pour over the oyster dressing.