Salad leaf pesto
Any combination of salad leaves will work for this pesto, but rocket-based salads are particularly good. You can make it with leftover mint or parsley instead of basil too.
- 50g/1¾oz Parmesan or alternative vegetarian hard cheese, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 30–50g/1–1¾oz mixed salad leaves (the more leaves the more intense the colour)
- 10–15g/½oz fresh basil
- 50g/1¾oz pine nuts, or other nuts, toasted first if you like
- 100ml/3½fl oz extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- ½ lemon, juice only
- ½ tsp flaked sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Put all the ingredients in a food processor.
Blend until as smooth as possible. You may need to remove the lid a couple of times and push the mixture down with a spatula until the right consistency is reached.
Transfer the pesto to a jar or bowl and drizzle a little oil on top to prevent discolouration. Keep in the fridge and use within three days, or alternatively freeze.
This pesto can be frozen for up to one month.