This comforting beef casserole is a perfect winter warmer and, although it seems rich, it is actually suitable for a low-calorie diet of 1200–1500 calories a day.
Each serving provides 429 kcal, 43g protein, 18g carbohydrates (of which 11g sugars), 16g fat (of which 5g saturates), 6g fibre and 1g salt.
- 700g/1lb 9oz braising steak, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 3-cm/1¼-in chunks
- 2 tbsp olive or sunflower oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 150ml/5fl oz red wine
- 450ml/16fl oz beef stock, made with 1 stock cube
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 carrots (about 300g/10½oz), peeled and thickly sliced
- 300g/10½oz closed cup mushrooms, sliced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- handful fresh flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped, to garnish