Rhubarb and custard tart with an almond and rosemary pastry
Ground almonds make the pastry tricky to work with but add a wonderful flavour and texture to this rhubarb and custard tart.
Equipment and preparation: for this recipe you will need a 23cm/9in loose bottomed flan tin and a hand blender or a food processor.
For the pastry
- 150g/5½oz plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 150g/5½oz cold unsalted butter, cubed, plus extra for greasing
- 100g/3½oz ground almonds
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 100g/3½oz caster sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
For the rhubarb sauce
- 500g/1lb 2oz rhubarb (as red as possible), chopped into chunks
- 60g/2¼oz caster sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 free-range egg, beaten for egg wash