Red lentil hummus with vegetable crudités
Red lentils are an excellent source of protein. Make them one of your kitchen staples and use in this nourishing, low-calorie 'hummus' which is terrific as a snack, with vegetable crudités, or lunchbox filler.
Each serving provides 218 kcal, 12g protein, 28g carbohydrates (of which 7g sugars), 5g fat (of which 1g saturates), 6g fibre and 1g salt. With a GI of 45 this meal is high protein, low GI.
For the dip
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika, plus extra to sprinkle
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 200g/7oz butternut squash, peeled, finely diced
- 150g/5½oz red lentils
- 450ml/1lb vegetable stock
- 1 level tsp tahini
- 2 level tbsp fat-free Greek-style yoghurt
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander, plus extra sprigs to garnish
- salt and freshly ground black pepper