- 150g/5½oz plain flour, sifted, plus extra for dusting
- 150g/5½oz self-raising flour, sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 125g/4½oz butter
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 120g/4oz mixed dried fruit (such as currants, sultanas and raisins)
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 1 large free-range egg
- 50ml/2fl oz milk
- 1 free-range egg, beaten with a little milk
- 90g/3¼oz caster sugar
- 50g/1¾oz mixed candied peel
- glacé cherries, halved, to garnish
- blanched almonds, to garnish
- butter or clotted cream, to serve
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
In a bowl, mix the flours and the baking powder together. Rub in the butter. Stir in the lemon zest, dried fruit and spice.
In a separate bowl, mix the egg and milk together. Add to the dry mixture and bring together to form a dough (use a little more milk if necessary).
On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough to approximately 2cm/1in thick. Use a pastry cutter to cut the dough into biscuits.
Glaze with the egg wash (egg beaten with milk) and decorate with the cherries and almonds. Make faces using the cherries as eyes and almonds as teeth.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden-brown and cooked through. Serve warm with butter or clotted cream.