- 120g/4¼oz fine salt
- 3 baby sweetcorn, halved lengthways
- 3 baby carrots, peeled, julienned
- 4 baby cucumbers, trimmed, cut into batons
- 65g/2½oz granulated sugar
- 500ml/18fl oz distilled malt vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 Apache or red chillies, seeds and inner membranes removed, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic bulb, cloves separated and peeled
In a bowl, dissolve 60g/2¼oz salt in 568ml/1 pint cold water. Add the baby sweetcorn and baby carrots, making sure they are completely submerged and set aside overnight.
Cover the bottom of a dish with salt, then arrange a layer of cucumber batons on top. Cover the cucumber with a thin layer of salt. Repeat the process with the remaining cucumber and salt. Set aside overnight.
When the vegetables have brined, drain well.
Bring the sugar and vinegar to the boil in a non-reactive saucepan (CAUTION: boiling sugar is extremely hot. Handle very carefully.). Reduce the heat until the mixture is simmering, then simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until the sugar has dissolved. Stir in the sesame oil, chillies and garlic.
Put the brined vegetables in sterilised jars, layering them to create a multi-coloured effect. Pour over the vinegar mixture, then seal the jars and set aside to cool.