Simple but ever so pretty, these multi-coloured cupcakes are topped with sprinkles and a glacé cherry. Perfect for Red Nose Day bake sales.
Equipment and preparation: for this recipe you will need two 12-hole muffin tins and a piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle.
For the rainbow cupcakes
- 240g/8½oz plain flour
- 240g/8½oz golden caster sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 80g/2¾oz unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 240ml/8½fl oz whole milk
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 food colourings of your choice (such as red, yellow, green and blue)
For the vanilla buttercream
- multi-coloured hundred and thousands
- 24 glacé cherries