Quinoa and bulgur wheat salad with lemon and pomegranate
- 150g/5½oz bulgur wheat
- 150g/5½oz red quinoa, rinsed well and drained
- 1 tbsp olive oil, for frying
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 200g/7oz sun-blushed tomatoes in oil, drained and halved
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped flatleaf parsley
- 2 tbsp finely snipped chives
- 1 tbsp torn fresh basil leaves
- 100g/3½oz feta, broken into pieces
- 50g/1¾oz pomegranate seeds, to garnish (optional)
For the dressing
Put the bulgar wheat and quinoa in a lidded saucepan and pour in 500ml/18fl oz water. Cover and bring to boil. Boil for 3–4 minutes – check the packet for instructions as cooking times can vary. Turn off the heat and leave for 20 minutes until cooked and the liquid is absorbed. Drain, if needed, and tip into a bowl.
For the dressing, put the lemon zest and juice, pomegranate molasses, sugar and oil into a small bowl. Stir to combine.
Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and fry for few minutes until nearly soft. Tip into the bowl with the bulgar wheat. Add the tomatoes and herbs. Season with salt and pepper and toss together. Add the dressing and mix.
Gently mix in the feta and pomegranate seeds. Check the seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if required.
The salad can be assembled up to 8 hours ahead. Pour the dressing over up to 2 hours before serving
You can also boil the quinoa and bulgur wheat in water for 12–15 minutes until cooked through.