Pulled pork with spicy coleslaw
For the pulled pork
- oil, for greasing
- 2kg/4lb 6½oz pork shoulder
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 200ml/7¼fl oz white wine vinegar
- 250ml/9fl oz cider
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the coleslaw
- half white cabbage, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 175g/6oz mayonnaise
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 8 soft white bread rolls
- 4 tbsp ready-made barbecue sauce
Preheat the oven to 170C/150C Fan/Gas 3.
For the pulled pork, oil a baking tray and place the pork shoulder on top. Mix together the chilli, mustard, salt and pepper, then rub the mixture into the pork shoulder.
Pour the vinegar and cider over, then scatter over the onion and garlic.
Cover with baking paper, then wrap in foil and roast for 3 hours. Remove the paper and foil, then roast for another 1 hour.
'Pull' the pork by sticking a fork in the shoulder and shredding the meat into small pieces with another fork.
For the coleslaw, in a separate bowl, mix together all of the coleslaw ingredients until well combined.
To serve, pile the pulled pork shoulder on a serving plate and spoon the coleslaw next to it. Serve with soft white rolls and barbecue sauce to taste.