Prawn cocktail with grapefruit
Use a mixture of king prawns and smaller prawns for the maximum texture and taste in this classic starter.
For the dressing
- 275g/10oz mayonnaise
- 2 small garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 tbsp roughly chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp apricot jam
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the prawn cocktail
- 900g/2lb mixed cooked unpeeled prawns, shells removed
- 2 firm pink grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- ½ small white cabbage, cored and shredded
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 Little Gem lettuces, thinly sliced
Place all of the dressing ingredients into a food processor and blend until combined and smooth, then season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place into a bowl and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
To make the prawn cocktail, place the prawns and dressing into a bowl and mix together gently.
Tear the grapefruit segments into chunks and add them to the prawn mixture, stirring to combine.
Place the cabbage, fennel and lettuce into a separate large bowl and mix together well.
Divide the salad mixture among eight flat sundae glasses or bowls.
Spoon equal portions of the prawn and grapefruit mixture over the top of each.
Garnish with a slice of lime, a few coriander leaves and a few shreds of red chilli and serve.