Penne with spicy tomato and mozzarella sauce
This is a simple and tasty pasta recipe - perfect for students. Add more or less chilli to taste.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- splash red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- small bunch fresh basil leaves, torn
- 125g ball fresh buffalo mozzarella, crumbled
- 400g/14oz dried penne pasta, cooked according to packet instructions, drained
- grated Parmesan, to serve
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and fry for 4-5 minutes, or until softened and beginning to colour. Add the garlic and chilli and continue to fry for 1-2 minutes.
Pour in the chopped tomatoes, red wine vinegar, tomato purée, a splash or two of Tabasco (to taste), sugar and half of the basil leaves, and stir well. Season with salt and pepper.
Bring the mixture to a simmer, then continue to simmer until the sauce has thickened and reduced in volume.
Just before serving, stir the crumbled mozzarella into the tomato sauce. Then stir the drained pasta into the sauce.
Divide the pasta and sauce equally among four serving plates. Sprinkle over the remaining basil leaves and the grated Parmesan.