Parsley, tomato and bulgar wheat salad
- 30g/1¼oz fine bulgar wheat
- 600g/1lb 5¼oz firm ripe tomatoes, diced into small cubes, 0.5cm/¼in square
- ½ bunch spring onions, trimmed and very thinly sliced
- 2 bunches flatleaf parsley, (about 400g/14lb¼oz on the stalk), very finely chopped
- small bunch mint, (about 70g/2½oz on the stalk), leaves only, very finely chopped
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp finely ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Little Gem lettuces, washed and quartered (or fresh tender vine leaves or white cabbage leaves, washed and dried)
Rinse the bulgar wheat in several changes of cold water, drain well and put in a large salad bowl.Spread the diced tomatoes and their juice over the bulgar then add the sliced onions. Put the chopped parsley over the spring onions, looking out for big pieces, if there are any, take them out and chop them finely. Add the chopped mint to the parsley, cover with a clean kitchen towel and leave for about half an hour for the bulgar wheat to absorb the tomato juices and soften.
Season with cinnamon, allspice, pepper and salt to taste. Add the lemon juice and olive oil and mix well together. Taste, adjust seasoning if necessary and serve immediately with either Little Gem lettuce or fresh vine leaves.