Outstanding fried egg sandwich
An egg-cellent fried egg sandwich is soon to be your new brunch favourite. Make your egg and bacon roll extra special with the addition of avocado, tomato and chilli.
- ½ ripe avocado, stone removed
- ½ red chilli, finely chopped (deseed first, if you like)
- squeeze fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 brioche burger bun or soft bap
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 1 large tomato, sliced into four widthways
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise or garlic mayonnaise
- freshly snipped cress from a punnet (alternatively use finely chopped watercress or coriander leaves)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Scoop the avocado into a bowl and, using a fork, roughly mash it with the chilli, lemon or lime juice and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
Cut the burger bun in half and toast under the grill or on a hot griddle. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and cook the bacon for two minutes on each side, or until crisp. Move to one side of the pan. Break the eggs into the pan and cook for two minutes, or until the whites are set but the yolks remain runny.
Spread the base of the bun with the smashed avocado and top with two slices of tomato and one of the eggs, add two rashers of bacon and sprinkle with some of the cress. Top with another two tomato slices, the remaining egg, more cress and the bacon. Season with pepper.
Spread the underside of the remaining bun half thickly with mayonnaise and place on top. Eat at once!