Mushroom, leek and spinach risotto
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ leek, finely chopped
- pinch chilli flakes
- 75g/3oz mixed mushrooms, for example oyster, shiitake and enoki, roughly chopped
- 200g/7oz risotto rice (eg carnaroli or arborio)
- 1 x 125ml/4½fl oz glass white wine
- 150ml/¼ pint hot vegetable stock
- 75g/3oz spinach, roughly chopped
- 25g/1oz butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- fresh chives, to garnish
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan with a lid, add the leek and chilli flakes and fry gently until softened. Add the mushrooms and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring frequently, for 1-2 minutes, or until the rice turns translucent.
Add the wine, turn up the heat and boil for 1-2 minutes. Add the stock one ladleful at a time and stir continuously until all the stock has been absorbed and the rice is cooked.
Stir in the spinach and the butter, remove from the heat, cover and set aside for a few minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
To serve, place the risotto into serving bowls and garnish with the chives.