Mozzarella in carrozza (Fried mozzarella sandwiches)
Try these crispy, golden fried mozzarella and basil sandwiches with tangy tomato chutney and never look back.
- 8 slices white bread
- 8 large fresh basil leaves
- 1 x 150g/5oz mozzarella ball, cut into four thick round slices
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten with a splash of milk and seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil, for frying
Use a 10cm/4in pastry cutter to cut circles from the bread slices.
Place a basil leaf onto each of four of the bread circles.
Place a slice of mozzarella onto each basil leaf, then top with another basil leaf.
Sprinkle some of the spring onions on top and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Top each with one of the four remaining bread circles and press the edges of the bread together to seal the sandwich.
Dredge the sandwiches in the seasoned flour to coat lightly, then dip them into the beaten egg mixture to completely coat.
Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat.
Fry the sandwiches for 3-4 minutes each side, or until crisp and golden-brown all over.
To serve, place two sandwiches onto each of four plates, sprinkle with sea salt flakes and serve with a dollop of tomato chutney.