Easy vegetable curry
This creamy vegetarian curry is low-fat, packed with vegetables and on the table in less than half an hour.
- ½ medium-sized aubergine, chopped
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 100g/4oz green beans, halved
- 1 medium-sized potato, chopped
- 100g/4oz peas (frozen is fine)
- 50g/2oz desiccated unsweetened coconut, soaked in a little hot water for five minutes
- 4 green chillies, roughly chopped (or to taste)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp plain yoghurt
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped fresh coriander leaves
Place the aubergine, carrots, green beans and potato in a medium-sized pan. Add 250ml/8fl oz water.
Bring to the boil, add the peas, then cover, turn the heat to medium and cook for four minutes or until the vegetables are just tender.
Meanwhile, put the coconut, chillies and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Add 150ml/5fl oz water and blend to form a fine paste. Set aside. (You can always finely chop by hand, but you may want to wear gloves when chopping chillies)
When the vegetables are just cooked, add the chilli paste. Stir and simmer gently for five minutes.
Add the tomatoes, yoghurt and garam masala. Stir gently to mix well. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 2-3 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
To serve, place the vegetable curry into a serving dish and garnish with the fresh coriander.
Roast aubergines with jewelled rice and tahini dressing
By Sarit Packer and Itamar Srulovich
See more aubergine recipes (227)