Mini smoked salmon and dill cakes
- 250g/9oz floury potatoes, such as maris piper, desirée or king edward, cut into large chunks
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 200g/7oz smoked salmon
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped fresh dill
- 1 lemon, zest only, finely grated
- 1 tsp horseradish sauce
- 1 tbsp drained capers, chopped (optional)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 heaped tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
- olive oil
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
Boil the potatoes in unsalted water for about 20 minutes until tender. There's no need to add salt to the water as the smoked salmon will provide the required saltiness. Drain, leave to cool for a couple of minutes, allowing the steam to evaporate, and then mash with the cream cheese until smooth.
Chop the smoked salmon and mix with the mashed potatoes, dill, lemon zest, horseradish and capers, if using, and season with salt and pepper. Shape into walnut-sized balls and flatten gently. Lightly coat each one with the breadcrumbs and place on an oiled baking sheet. Either cook straight away or refrigerate until needed.
To cook, drizzle over a little olive oil and bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, turning after 5 minutes or until golden.