Merguez sausages with chickpeas on toast
For the chickpeas
- dash olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tsp harissa paste
- 1 lemon, juice and zest only
- 1 x 400g/14½oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 150ml/5¼fl oz chicken stock
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
For the toast
Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the onion. Fry the onion for five minutes or so until softened, but not browned.
Add the garlic, harissa, lemon juice and lemon zest and cook for a further three minutes.
Add the chickpeas and stock, bring gently to the boil and simmer for five minutes. Sprinkle over the chopped parsley.
Meanwhile, for the toast, heat a griddle pan until hot. Brush the bread with olive oil and griddle for two minutes on each side.
Serve the chickpeas on the griddled bread, with the merguez sausages arranged on top.