Medjool date and walnut scones
- 500g/1lb 2oz self-raising flour sifted, plus extra for flouring
- 100g/3½oz butter, at room temperature, chopped into little squares, plus extra for greasing
- 40g/1½oz caster sugar
- pinch flaked sea salt
- 300ml/10fl oz full-fat milk
- 1 tbsp crème fraîche
- Medjool dates, chopped into chunks (to taste)
- walnuts, toasted and chopped (to taste)
Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 6 and grease and flour a baking tray.
Put the flour into a large bowl, add the butter and rub it into the flour to make breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and salt and mix together.
Pour in the milk gradually and mix in, reserving a few tablespoons for a glaze. Mix in the crème fraîche until well-combined.
Add dates and walnuts, to taste, ensuring that they’re evenly dispersed.
Lightly flour a clean work surface and roll out the scone dough to a thickness of 2.5cm/1in and use a round pastry cutter to cut out six scones. Re-roll any off-cuts to make more scones, but be careful not to overwork the dough.
Place the scones onto the prepared baking tray and bake for 15 -20 minutes, or until risen and golden-brown.
Serve with good-quality strawberry jam and clotted cream.