Masala dosa in a chapati
- 1 tsp urid dal
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp brown or black mustard seeds
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 3 medium dried red chillies, stalks removed
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 medium Spanish onion, finely sliced
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp root ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 600g/1lb 5oz white or red potatoes, peeled, diced and boiled
- 1 medium tomato, roughly chopped
- 20g/1oz coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2-3 chapatis or naan breads, to serve
Pick over the lentils and remove any small stones.
Soak the lentils in a cup of hot water for five minutes.
Heat the oil in the frying pan. Add the asafoetida, then the cumin and mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the curry leaves, lentils, red chillies, turmeric and onion and mix. Fry over a medium heat for four minutes, then add the salt, ginger, potatoes, tomato, and coriander leaves and mix well.
Grill the chapatis or naan breads for a couple of minutes on each side.
Place the potato mixture on top of the breads. Roll up and serve.