Liver and bacon salad
- 2 slices calf's liver 225g/8oz each, 4cm/2in thick
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100g/3½oz plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground pepper
- 30g/1oz unsalted butter
- 25ml/1fl oz good quality balsamic vinegar
- 6 slices smoked back bacon, grilled, chopped into strips
- handful watercress
- handful rocket
- 100g/3½oz cucumber, seeds removed, cut into small cubes
- 8 sun-blushed tomatoes, finely chopped
Season the liver well with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then dredge in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess flour.
Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat until it foams.
Add the liver to the pan of melted butter and cook for three minutes, until the liver had turned slightly brown, then turn the liver over and cook for another three minutes.
Turn the liver over again, reduce the heat a little, and drizzle the liver with the balsamic vinegar. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
Add the bacon, watercress, rocket, cucumber and sun-blushed tomatoes to the pan and stir well for ten seconds.
To serve, place a piece of liver onto each plate and arrange the pan juices and vegetables around the plate.