Mushrooms add a rich savoury flavour to a lentil bolognese; a punchy spoonful of Marmite will boost the flavour further. Serve with pasta, or use in a vegetarian or vegan lasagne.
Each serving provides 258 kcal, 16g protein, 34g carbohydrates (of which 9g sugars), 3g fat (of which 0.5g saturates), 9g fibre and 0.7g salt.
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 100g/3½oz mushrooms, finely chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp dried oregano or thyme
- 200g/7oz brown or green lentils
- 100ml/3½fl oz vegan red wine
- 500ml/18fl oz vegetable stock
- 1 tsp yeast extract, such as Marmite (optional)
- ½ lemon, juice only (optional)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper