Large shell pasta with aubergines and tomatoes
- 2 large aubergines
- ½ litre/17½fl oz pomace oil, for frying (or olive oil)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Italian olive oil
- 400g/14¼oz tinned Italian chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp sliced fresh basil
- 300g/10½oz conchiglioni pasta (pasta shells)
- 100g/3½oz pecorino romano cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- green salad
Cut the aubergine into cubes approximately 2cm (0.75in), place in a sieve, sprinkle with 3-4 pinches of salt and leave to rest, allowing the excess water to drain.
Once ready, preheat the pomace or olive oil in a tall saucepan and fry the aubergines until golden and crisp (approximately three minutes).
Drain the excess oil and place aubergines in a bowl ready to use.
In a saucepan, gently fry the garlic in the olive oil, immediately add the aubergines and the chopped tomatoes and stir well.
Add the basil, season with salt and pepper and allow to cook on a low heat for approximately 20 minutes.
In the meantime, cook the pasta in salted boiling water until al dente.
Drain the pasta and place back into the same large saucepan.
Add the aubergine sauce to the pasta, mix well and serve immediately with pecorino romano shavings and a green salad.