Lamb, cherry and pine nut meatballs
- 400g/14oz minced lamb
- 1 onion, finely grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed to a paste
- 50g/2oz dried sour cherries, chopped
- 100g/3½oz pine nuts, lightly toasted and roughly chopped
- ½ tsp Hungarian paprika
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 free-range egg white, lightly whisked
- small bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
- small bunch fresh mint, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
In a large bowl, mix together the minced lamb, onion, garlic, sour cherries, pine nuts, paprika, allspice and cumin. Add the egg white and mix again. Stir in the chopped fresh herbs and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Using your hands, shape the mixture into golf ball-sized balls.
Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the meatballs over a medium heat a few at a time, turning occasionally, for ten minutes, or until golden-brown on all sides and completely cooked through.
Serve the meatballs hot or at room temperature.