Lamb koftas with brown sauce and a cucumber and mint salad
For the lamb koftas
- 550g/1lb 4oz lamb mince
- salt, to taste
- ½ tsp ground mace
- 2 red chillies, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 tsp pepper corns, toasted and ground
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
For the brown sauce
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 600g/1lb 5oz tinned chopped tomatoes
- 250g/9oz dates, chopped
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 75g/2½oz dark brown sugar
- 3 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 175ml/6fl oz malt vinegar
- 100g/3½oz packet tamarind pulp without seeds
- 4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 7cm/3in piece of cassia or cinnamon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 6 whole cloves
- ½ tsp whole black peppercorns
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 2 sprigs fresh tarragon, leaves only, finely chopped
For the cucumber and mint salad
For the lamb koftas, put all the ingredients, apart from the oil, in a large bowl and mix to combine. Form into sausage shapes. If you have the time, leave them to rest in the fridge for half an hour.
Heat a flat griddle pan. Oil the koftas and cook on the griddle pan and cook for 5–6 minutes. Keep turning until cooked through.
For the brown sauce, place all the ingredients, except for the tarragon, into a large wide pan and add enough water to cover the ingredients. Cook for about an hour and a half until reduced to a think consistency. Remove from the heat and blend until smooth. Finish with the fresh tarragon.
For the cucumber and mint salad, place all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix.
Serve the lamb koftas with flatbreads, the brown sauce and the salad.