Lamb casserole with aubergine
- 2kg/4lb 8oz aubergines, cut into 5mm/¼in thick slices
- 1 tsp salt, plus extra for sprinkling
- 150ml/5fl oz olive oil
- 2 red peppers, seeds removed and sliced
- 1.5kg/3lb 5oz lamb shoulder, bone removed, fat trimmed and cut into 3cm/1¼in pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 large handful roughly chopped parsley
- 10 turns black peppermill
Sprinkle the aubergine with salt and leave to drain in a colander for an hour. Remove and dry with a tea towel.
Heat the oil in a large lidded casserole over medium heat. Add the aubergines and peppers and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add the lamb to the casserole and fry over a medium heat, stirring frequently, until lightly coloured, about 8 minutes.
Add the onion and cook for 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, sugar, parsley, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 2 hours, or until the meat is tender and the sauce thickened.
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
Return the aubergines and red peppers to the pan, folding them through the stew a little. Bake for 20 minutes then serve.
If buying a ready-boned lamb shoulder, you will need about 1.5kg/3lb 5oz.