King prawn brochette on a spicy sweet salad
- 20 raw king prawns, heads removed and shelled - butterfly them to
- remove waste
- wooden skewers (soaked to stop them burning when barbequed or griddled)
For the marinade
- 1 red chilli
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger , peeled
- 1 garlic clove
- a little lime juice
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
For the salad
- ½ fresh pineapple, cut into 1cm/½in dice
- 110g/4oz mooli (daikon radish), cut into fine batons (julienne) 7.5cm/3in long
- 200g/7oz mangetout, cut on an angle finely
- 2 carrots, cut into fine batons (julienne) 7.5cm/3in long
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 heaped tbsp coriander, coarsely chopped
- 2 red chillies, finely diced
- ½ thumb-sized piece of ginger, finely diced
For the salad dressing
In a pestle and mortar pound the marinade ingredients (the chilli, ginger, garlic, lime juice and oil) and add the prawns, allowing them to marinate for 1 hour.
Once the prawns have marinated, skewer them on to the wooden skewers - about four per skewer depending on the size of the prawns.
On a hot griddle pan place the prawn skewers and cook for a couple of minutes on each side (the prawns will turn pink).
Meanwhile prepare the salad ingredients and mix the dressing in well - almost bruising the vegetables.
Serve the salad in the middle of a plate and place two skewers on top and eat immediately.