- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 55g/2oz butter
- 300g/10½oz basmati rice
- 1 tsp madras curry powder
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 200ml/7fl oz milk
- 110ml/4fl oz double cream
- 300g/10½oz naturally smoked haddock (undyed), bones removed and flesh cut into chunks
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- small bunch parsley, chopped
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and halved
- good pinch cayenne and freshly ground nutmeg (optional)
Cook the onion gently in the butter for a few minutes, then add the rice.
Continue cooking gently and stirring, adding the curry powder and nutmeg. After a few minutes, add the milk, cream and 250ml/9fl oz water.
When the mixture begins to simmer, add the fish and continue simmering, stirring occasionally until the rice is cooked. (You may need to add a little water if the mixture becomes dry.)
Season, add the parsley and stir. Add the eggs and garnish with cayenne and nutmeg if using. Serve topped with a knob of butter and wedges of lemon.